Sunday, February 8, 2009

Let's get down to the knitty gritty

Before I begin, a little light philosophy: Blogging is a nice way to share photos and anecdotes about one's life for the enjoyment and information of any who care. There are some who view it as a sort of online dinner party with a complex set of social rules and an exhausting standard of etiquette. I vote we take the surplus knives and forks out of blogging, and look at it as more of a spontaneous picnic. Let's take the "Emily" out of "Post."
Now, let's talk knit. Lately, I have become a knitter. (As in, within the last four months.) My friend Kristiina gave me a crash course on the basics, but I only recently knuckled down and commit myself. How this came about was our state of relative poverty. I wanted to buy some cute winter hats for the kids, but couldn't afford the ones I wanted. And so I did what any poor mother with cold-headed kids and nimble fingers and a stout heart would do. I went to the library and checked out some books about knitting. (I recommend Knitting School, and the Idiot's Guide to Knitting.) Encouraging Statement: It's really very easy, once you get the hang of it. I knit the winter hats for my kids, but grew hungry for more. I was surrounded by noodly tangles of yarn, my fingers were pickled from constant needlecrafting, I was becoming a real geek. (I also recommend the youtube tutorials of The Knit Witch. Very helpful.)

Anyway, here are some of my hats, knit for my nieces Avery and Parker, and my nephew Sam.


Avery is a touch camera shy. I had to nonchalantly snap this shot from the other side of the room, and then resume pretending to change a diaper.


There is something so delicious about knitted produce.




Who says warmth shouldn't attack your head?

9 comments:

Melissa said...

Looks great.
Masaru still fits the one you got him whilst in NZ.

Breezy said...

Love the hats! Are you going to start selling them? And I ask because... while looking at your blog my little boy (Aiden, 4 years old now!) now wants a monster hat! It's super cute :) Let me know if you will accept cash bribery ;) ;)

Marcy said...

Those are adorable... You are WAAAAAAAY better at knitting than my attempt.

Barrettes and Bows said...

Wha???You are amazing. Knit-tacular! Truly! Hats off..heheheh

MEvans said...

Ok I just want everyone to know that no matter how cute you think these hats are, they are way cuter in person! I know because these hats now happily reside on little hooks in my mud room alongside a hat for my husband and I that Eirene also brilliantly knitted!

MEvans said...

Oh, loving the new header and wondering about the teepee. I've been wanting to make Sammers one for a long time but... Was it pretty easy to make?

Stephanie said...

Oh they are so cute! You should sell them! Really I would buy that monster one for Ethan! I love that you made them hats. I realized we just don't have very warm blankets in the house and simply can't afford to charge up the electric bill so I am learning how to peice quilt, yes I know I could have just tied some quilts but I think that perhaps my children might get attached too. Anyway I am off on a tangent. I love your hats!

Melanie said...

Eirene, you're amazing. I love those hats. I also cannot believe you have 2 little ones and still knitted those hats. You and your little family are adorable!

Melanie(the one from Guatemala)

Emily said...

eirene! these are great! i'm gonna buy one from you one of these days... meaning, when i actually have money again. speaking of, can i borrow 20 bucks?